A lactic peel is derived from a milk product such as buttermilk, sour cream or yogurt. It is one of the mildest forms of chemical peels available. The human body contains lactic acid in its cells which is why it is safer that other acids. Penetration to the skin is slower due to the fact that this acid is one of the largest molecules.
The lactic peel is especially good for first time users or people with sensitive skin as it does not produce the discomfort, redness and irritation associated with other peels. The recovery time is also lessened. People with rosacea can benefit more from a lactic peel. Rosacea is a disease that occurs in adults and caused the veins in the face to enlarge. This can make a person look flushed all the time. Since lactic peels are so gentle this is the only procedure a person suffering from rosacea can have.
Lactic peels work like any acid by causing the substance that hold skin cells together to become loose. Since it works only the top layer of the skin, the epidermis, it is not a deep peel. However, it does cause the elastic fibers in the dermis layer of the skin to be stimulated and produce new collagen.
Some of the skin conditions that can be improved with a lactic peel are: sun-damaged skin, wrinkles that are not too deep, mild acne scars, age spots and brown spots.
Chemical Peel After Care:
- Lactic, Glycolic and Salicylic peels have little peeling and sometimes not much at all But that does not mean you will not have results.
- You should only be using gentle cleanser and sunscreen at least an SPF 30 (for at least 5 to 7 days)
- Please DO NOT sun bathe or go into a tanning bed for several weeks after peel. This can cause dark pigmentation to the skin! And tanning makes you old!
- Avoid using any products such as retin-A, glycolics, salicylic or topical vitamin C for at least 7 days after your peel.
- Please do not scrub your skin, pick or peel at it, and do not use your face scrub brush such as Clarisonic or any other facial brush. (until you are done peeling)
- Also, it is not recommended to use a lot of moisturizer during the peeling process. This will only prolong the peel process.
- If you have discomfort such as cracking or irritation to a specific area, you can use Aquaphor. You can find this at your local drug store.
- Remember not everyone peels the same and even you may not peel as much as the time before but it does not mean you will not get results.
- So just because your friend peels like a snake doesn’t mean you will.
- This is why we are all different.
- Just sit back and wait for your skin to transform back to its beautiful, youthful self.